Williamsburg/Jamestown Field Trip
On Friday, March 31, the fourth grade will be taking their field trip to Jamestown and Williamsburg. Students should be left at the school by 6:00 a.m. Parents are responsible for transportation to and from school on that day. The buses will leave promptly at 6:00 a.m. We cannot wait for late students because of our tight schedule. Money cannot be refunded for absentees because prepayments have been made. If your child is ill that day and will not attend the field trip as planned, please call Mrs. Torres between 5:00 and 5:30 a.m. that morning . . . . . 571-228-1514.
Students should bring the following items:
- ÞA breakfast or mid-morning snack.
- ÞA sack lunch (labeled with child’s name).
- ÞSeveral drinks in plastic bottles with lids that close, labeled (We will not have a cooler, so please freeze or chill the drink and wrap it in foil.)
- ÞRaincoat, waterproof shoes or boots, and umbrella are required.
- ÞAll expenses for this trip, including dinner at McDonald’s, are covered by the prepaid $55.00. However, children will have the opportunity to purchase souvenirs. Bringing extra money is completely optional and is the total responsibility of the student.
- ÞCamera (labeled) is optional and is the sole responsibility of the student.
- ÞStudents may bring items to play with on the long bus ride. However, parents must realize these items will be left on the bus, and your child is completely responsible for them. Please make sure all items are labeled with your child’s name.
- ÞStudents should wear comfortable clothing and shoes. We will be walking quite a bit—rain or shine. Bring a sweater or jacket.
- ÞIf possible, students should bring a labeled book bag to use for their belongings.
Students should return to TNS at about 8:30 p.m. Please be there to pick up your child before that time. Please find your child’s teacher, and sign your child out on the sign-out sheet provided by the teacher. You must sign for each child you take home. Please do not take a child without first checking with your child’s teacher.
Thank you for your help and cooperation.
The schedule for the 4th grade S.O.L. has been created. Please schedule all doctor's appointments around these dates/times. Also, ensure that your child gets a good night's sleep the night prior to the test and eats a healthy breakfast on the day of the test. All tests will begin at approximately 8:15 A.M. and are untimed. If your child comes in after the test has begun, they will not be able to take the test that day.
Reading: Thursday, May 11.
VA Studies: Wednesday, May 17.
Math: Wednesday, May 24.
Math: Chapter 13: (3A) Elapsed Time; Review ch. 12-13: Measurement; Measurement CFA Test; Introduce ch. 10: Identify and Describe Geometric Figures; (1A) Two-Dimensional Figures.
Spelling: Introduce new unit to all groups on Monday; Test on Friday.
Reading: Comprehension Quiz; Virginia Weekly 27: "Famous People of Virginia;" Comprehension Strategies Assessment Test.
Science: Introduce Unit 9: "Energy and Electricity;" Lesson 1: "What are Some Forms of Energy?"; Unit 11: Lesson 1: "What is Motion?;" Unit 10: Lesson 1: "What is Electricity?"
The 4th grade Math textbook is available online!! Log on to the link below. Your child's username and password are in their agenda. There are fun games, videos for review, and other fun activities your child can view!!
Please work nightly with your child to ensure they are studying their speed drills. It is my goal for the class that everyone pass their addition drills by the end of September and their subtraction drills by the end of October. Check in your child's Homework Folders nightly to keep yourself informed as to which drill they are currently being tested on. Thanks for your cooperation in this endeavor! There are some websites your child can visit at home to make learning these facts a bit more fun.:
(type "math trainer" in the search box)
Please read the information sent home today regarding the "Book-It" program. In order to promote a love of reading, Pizza Hut has generously offered a free one topping pizza to those students that meet the goal set forth by me. This program will run from October-March. In order for your child to receive their free monthly pizza, all they need to do is complete the already assigned reading log 5 days/week.
Beginning October 1, your child will be required to read and take a test on a minimum of one 'AR' book per month. The same expectation will be required throughout the remainder of the school year. I will count these test grades as one of your child's reading grades. Please remember that if your child reads more than one 'AR' book per month, I count the highest score as their test grade. Please ensure that he/she is reading a book that is on their assigned reading level. These were given after your child was given numerous assessments and are found on a label in the front of their agenda.
Online gradebooks for Nokesville have been synchronized with the Parent Portal and are now available for parents to view.
Virginia Studies Textbook
The 4th grade Virginia Studies textbook is available online!! Log on to www.eharcourtschool.com. Your child's username and password were sent home today. They are also found in their agenda.